PERUGIA Art and religion -
Oratory of San Bernardino
The city authorities commissioned Agostino di Duccio to design the facade. This architect had just finished another commission, also a Franciscan church, theTempio Malatesta in Rimini.
The polychrome front was finished in 1461 and makes use of a combination of different materials ranging from terra-cotta to limestone, as well as white, red and black marble. It is structured around an arch that stands between pilaster strips and functions as the support for a sculptural ensemble in flat and half-round bas-relief that is considered to be the most important Renaissance monument in Perugia and depicts the miracles performed by San Bernardino.
Behind the altar two doors lead to the Oratory of St Andrew. The lacunar wooden ceiling is from 1558, while the stucco work and paintings were carried out in the 18th and 19th centuries.
Oratorio di San Bernardino
Piazza San Francesco al Prato [old town centre]
Info: Ph. +39 0755733957
Timetable of Holy Mass:
Sundays and holidays: 12 noon – 5.30pm
APM (Public municipal bus transport authority): stopped bus - Piazza Italia [only 400 meters away]
Linea 4, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13s, 13d, 15, 81, 82, 83, 87, bis28, bis31, bis34, bis39, bis41, bis44, bis50
Follow Corso Vannucci and then Via Priori.
Disabled access available