Perugia Online® - logo - Umbria - Italy

PERUGIA General information - General travel tips

Passport Regulations
A visa is not required for US or Canadian citizens holding a valid passport unless they expect to stay in Italy for more than 90 days or are entering the country for study or employment reasons. Anyone who decides to stay over 90 days once they have entered the country should make an application once only to any police station (questura) for an additional 90-day extension. Proof will be required to ascertain that the person is a bona fide tourist with adequate means of support and that the extension is not for study or employment purposes. Generally, permission is granted immediately. Non-American citizens should check current visa requirements with the nearest Italian Consulate before departure.

A traveller entering Italy with a dog or cat must have a veterinary certificate stating that the animal is in good health and has been vaccinated against rabies between 20 days and 11 months prior to entry into Italy. The certificate must also state the breed, age, sex and color of the pet, as well as the owner's name and address. The certificate is valid for 30 days. Forms are obtainable at all Italian diplomatic and consular representatives and from the Italian Government Travel Office. Parrots, parakeets, rabbits and hares also require health certificates and in addition are subject to an examination upon entering Italy. A dog must be on a leash or muzzled when in public. Customs officials may require a health examination of any pet if they suspect that it is ill or has come directly from tropical regions.

Registration for Tourists
The paperwork related to registering with the police within 3 days of arrival in Italy is dealt with by the hotels the tourist is staying in. If staying with friends or in a private home, tourists must register in person at the nearest police station within three days of arrival. In Rome there is a special police information office to assist tourists. (Interpreters are available) telephone: 06.461-950 or 06.486-609.

Healthcare and MedicalAssistance
Tourists requiring urgent medical care should go to the nearest hospital emergency ward (airports and many train stations also have medical teams and first aid facilities). Those with serious illnesses or allergies should always carry a special note from their physicians giving detailed information on the treatments they are following or that may be necessary. Pharmacies (Farmacia), generally follow shop opening times (approx. from 8.30am to 12.30pm and from 3 to 7pm, Monday to Saturday, but in large cities many are open throughout the day. Night time service is provided on a shift basis. Business hours and night shifts are displayed outside each pharmacy and are published in local papers. It is advisable to procure a document certifying coverage by the national health care service before departure.

Health Services and Insurance Policy
Italy has no medical program covering citizens from the US and Canada. US and Canadian tourists are therefore advised to take out an insurance policy before traveling. First Aid Service (Pronto Soccorso) with a doctor on hand is found at airports, ports, railway stations and in all hospitals. Medicines, be they prescription or over the counter, can be obtained only in pharmacies.

SCG Business Consulting S.a.s. di Giacomelli E. & C. - Internet Advertising Division - 1997-2023 All Rights Reserved
P.IVA 01675690562
- Perugia Online © Copyright